Home » TV News

‘Modern Family’ Drops Lawsuit

Submitted by on July 30, 2012 – 2:55 pm Comments

We all know that Modern Family is one of the funniest shows on television, with 14 recent Emmy nominations and over 13 million regular viewers. The show’s cast is absolutely amazing and deserves to be paid like the super stars they are. The six adult cast members  – Ty Burrell, Julie Bowen, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Eric Stonestreet, Ed O’Neill and Sofia Vergara – recently missed the first table read for season four of the hit show, while they began renegotiations of their contracts. The feud over contract negotiations has been ongoing for the majority of the summer months.

cast of modern family posing with EmmyFive of the actors from the show filed a lawsuit this past Tuesday stating that their old contracts violated California state law which bound them to the show for over seven years. The law states that personal service contracts cannot last over seven years. O’Neill’s original contract had been structured differently than the other actors and actresses, so he was not included in the lawsuit, though he still had issues with renegotiations of his contract.

As reported earlier, Friday, the hilarious mix of cast members negotiated their new contract deals that ended the dispute with 20th Century Fox TV executives. It was reported that the actors were asking for around $200,000 per episode for the new season. That is a nearly $140,000 more per episode than the actors previously made. This type of raise is not uncommon in TV industry, especially with a hit show as big as Modern Family.  O’Neill however previously made around $100,000 an episode, as he was considered a bigger star than the rest of the cast. It comes as a surprise to no one that the suit has been dropped since the new contracts have been signed.

The executive producer of the show, Christopher Lloyd, said that the lawsuit was simply a negotiations tactic, and that the actors had been given some bad advice.  The timing of the lawsuit does seem a bit odd and it is no wonder it was dropped the second negotiations were made. Though not everyone got what they wanted out of the contracts, Lloyd says this is a sign of good negotiations. “We’re all glad it ended,” he said.

Shooting of the show’s fourth season will begin today and the show will begin airing in September on ABC. The show will also begin airing in syndication in 2013 and is expecting to earn millions more, especially in the foreign market.

Keaven Neely

Keaven is a stay at home mother of two little girls. She writes her blog This Mama Is Crazy and also sells her arts and crafts on her Etsy site. Writer of “The No BS Zone”

Be Sociable, Share!
Tags: , ,

Leave a comment!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also Comments Feed via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.


+ 7 = 11